Title: The Land Acquisition & Development Manager
Location: Knoxville, TN
Compensation:Aggressive Salary + Performance Bonus + Profit Sharing
Other Benefits: 401K with company match up to 4%, Profit Sharing, Health Insurance (50% of employee plan or reimbursed if company plan opted out of)
Military Veteran Preferred, but not required
***This position is based out of Knoxville, TN., Selected candidate will be required to relocate
The Land Acquisition & Development Manager supports the mutually owned home-building company by providing finished lots on time, within budget and as specified. This includes the coordination and management of all aspects of land acquisition, entitlement and development of communities including but not limited to: locating and negotiating purchase of raw land, developing concept plan with engineers and land planners, helps manage due diligence activities, value engineers site plans, working directly with municipalities & reviewing agencies; assists with the preparation of preliminary, bank and final land development budgets as needed and oversees the approval process (including presentations and municipal meetings); oversee and manage all development operations after approval.
ESSENTIAL TASKS, DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Analyze markets and current land positions to identify gaps and concentrations for future land acquisitions
• Maintain knowledge of market activities and trends
• Generate prospective acquisitions through land brokers, local contacts, developers, etc.
• Review and present market data and analysis in evaluation of the feasibility of a potential project
• Initiate projects by identifying parcels, negotiating with Sellers, performing due diligence, preparing letters of intent and determining viability for development
• Lead entitlement and annexation process associated with obtaining final approval
• Present before municipal bodies, home owners associations, and land owners
• Negotiate, prepare and present contracts, amendments, and easements to existing land contracts as necessary
Land Feasibility and Due Diligence
• Review and examine proposed sites for development feasibility.
• Research and understand local municipal Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance requirements.
• Work with engineering consultants to develop preliminary concept plan once we understand site constraints and applicable development codes and ordinances.
• Prepare thorough due diligence and site feasibility analysis based on regulatory requirements, entitlement process and cost effective design for new land acquisition/development projects.
• Develop approval schedules and preliminary site development budget estimates.
• Work with builder management team and design consultants to review technical aspects of the project and value engineer proposed design elements from an owner’s perspective in an effort to minimize cost and maximize overall project market value.
• Facilitate final Due Diligence report and executive summary; make recommendation on whether or not to proceed with the proposed land deal based on the land feasibility results.
• Preparation of preliminary and bank land development budgets as needed.
• Lead approvals of real estate development projects from site identification through final approvals and permits in order to develop the sites.
• Coordinate with builder management team, adjacent property owners, HOA’s and jurisdictional authorities to ensure support for our projects.
• Bring resolution to key issues during all phases of the entitlement process in order to keep projects on or ahead of schedule.
• Work with consultants to create necessary rezoning exhibits, preliminary plats and final plats.
• Track and update project expenses and anticipated milestone deliveries throughout the progression of entitlement.
• Coordinate the preparation of site design criteria for site plan engineering; contract with, and manage third party Consulting Engineers in the preparation of site improvement plans; coordinate the municipal review and approval of site plans with the Consulting Engineers.
• Coordinate with Land Development Manager on all work product from outside consultants in order to reduce excess development costs through value engineering and by incorporation sensible land development design/best field practices that are in compliance with Company’s design standards.
• Work with builder team and design consultants to review technical aspects of the project and value engineer proposed design elements from an owner’s perspective in an effort to minimize cost and maximize overall project value.
• Develop and review all contract documents with design professionals and other direct vendors/consultants. Make recommendations after review and analysis of bid responses ensuring scope of work is accurately covered in the submitted proposals.
• Establish and administer regular meetings as necessary with project team, consultants and municipalities throughout the entitlement process.
• Facilitate projects through the entitlements process (concept sketch plan, preliminary plat, final plat, etc.)
• Manage all required rezoning requests, zoning variances, special exceptions, master planning, landscape planning, concept plans, preliminary subdivision plans, mixed use site plans, marketing exhibits as required.
• Proactively engage municipalities on the benefits of age restricted communities and working with them on amending ordinances to allow product without having to request rezoning or special conditions.
• Attend and present approvals presentations at city/town meetings (Planning Board and Council) and/or community meetings to facilitate approvals of rezoning, plats and engineered plans as necessary.
• Establish rapport with governmental staff in order to minimize comments on rezonings, plats and/or engineering plans.
• Anticipate possible challenges for each particular project and recommend strategy to overcome potential objections throughout the entitlement process.
• Create the Preliminary LD Budget, Bank LD Budget and Final LD Budgets to ensure all cost are captured and to avoid variances in the future.
• Establish and maintain strategic trade relationships to achieve project objectives.
• Manages the bidding and budgeting process for developments; approves invoices.
• Manage contractors in accordance with signed contracts.
• Identify contractor capacity issues and propose solutions.
• Resolve issues identified during development.
• Lots developed to meet builder and municipal requirements.
• Review and approve invoices to ensure accuracy and work completed.
• Assist in development of systems and processes to improve lot delivery.
• Schedules updated weekly. Implement strategies to maintain project completion objectives.
• Weekly inspection of sites and recordkeeping to ensure compliance with Sediment Control / Water Quality permitting.
• Responsible for construction of entry and amenity features.
• Focus on resolving punch lists and other requirements requiring resolution to dedicate improvements to municipalities and release bond commitments.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
• 3-5 years of experience minimum in land acquisition and approvals in the residential home-building industry.
• Experience with site engineering, approvals and development.
• Demonstrated experience reading engineering plans.
• Experience working with multi-disciplined teams.
• Ability to track, retain, retrieve and apply information (knowledge, facts, decisions etc.) to manage and solve issues.
• Ability to manage multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities that require sound judgement under pressure.
• Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite and builder software.
• Ability to pass a background check and drug screen.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• Ability to traverse unlevel, physically taxing terrain as needed
NOW Hiring Heroes, Inc. (NHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, NOW Hiring Heroes, Inc. and all client companies of NHH comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training, etc.. For more information on NHH's EOE program or to report a violation, Follow this link